The City of Henderson is creating a Vision Plan and the Henderson City/County Planning Commission is updating the Comprehensive Plan. These plans are being led by City/County staff, a Community Visioning Steering Committee and a consultant team (See Who’s Involved).
What is a Vision Plan?
- A motivating picture of what everyone should be working towards
- Represents an image or dream
- Should be far-reaching for the future
- Does not contain all of the answers or solutions
- Brings together community’s ideas on the future
- Informs and creates the basis for the Comprehensive Plan update
- Creates the “Big Idea”
- Develops community-wide strategies that guide both private and public investment decisions
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
- A legislative document
- An official policy statement for private development projects and community expenditures
- A vision of the future
- The foundation for land use decisions
What is Planning?
Planning is a collaborative process which ultimately defines a community’s vision for the future. This process includes articulating the values of the community, preparing for the future, and creating sound policies.
Why are we planning?
A Comprehensive Plan establishes the long-term community vision which defines the quantity of growth, quality of growth and location of growth that the community desires.
What function will a good plan serve?
- Preserves limited and natural resources
- Guides future development
- Communicates a realistic vision
- Mitigates potential negative impacts
- Provides a legal basis for land use regulations
- Guides capital improvements